Student Curricular Board
Welcome to the UICOM Student Curricular Board (SCB) Webpage!
The Student Curricular Board (SCB), formerly known as the Student Education Team (SET) and originally designed by Dean Hyderi and student leaders, is a unique student-led organization at UIC College of Medicine that allows medical students direct access and participation in curricular change. Designed initially to provide individual course feedback to faculty, SCB has worked to design a system that looks not only at individual courses, but also the interplay of courses within an academic year and across all years of medical training.
SCB is an organization operating in collaboration with the Chicago Medical Student Council (CMSC) and Office of Curricular Affairs (OCA). SCB’s primary role lies in curricular feedback, as members evaluate the clarity of course content and objectives, sequencing and design, teaching effectiveness, and appropriateness of assessment methods in addition to its new roles in curricular enhancement.
Becoming a member of SCB will serve as a unique learning opportunity for medical student leaders as they gain a thorough understanding of medical education and curriculum, how to handle various curricular issues, and ultimately become a better student and teacher.
If you are interested in learning more about SCB, or are from another institution seeking to adopt a similar structure, our SCB members would be happy to help! Check out our “SCB Executive Board” page for updated contact information for our SCB student leaders. Thanks!
SCB Subpages Heading link
Acknowledgements Heading link
SCB would like to provide a special thank you to Abbas Hyderi, MD, MPH, former Associate Dean for Curriculum at UIC College of Medicine. He, along with student leaders at that time, initiated in 2012 the Student Education Team (SET) framework upon which the SCB has been built and has been supportive of its growth ever since.
In addition to Dean Hyderi, SCB would like to thank the following individuals for their help in both designing and supporting the creation of such a unique organization in medical education which allows students a degree of influence over their own education and teaches them how to be better students and teachers in the process:
- Raymond Curry, MD – Senior Associate Dean for Educational Affairs
- Richard Stringham, MD – Assistant Dean for Curriculum
- Sandra Yingling, PhD – Associate Dean for Educational Planning & Quality Improvement
- Maureen Valaski, MHPE – Director of Office of Curricular Affairs (OCA)
- Matthew Orlando – Associate Director of OCA
- Julie Mann, MA – Former Associate Director of OCA, Current Administrative Director of MSTP
- Max Anderson, MLIS, MS – OCA Instructional Designer
- Eric Wallbruch – OCA M1/M2 Coordinator and SCB Administrative Contact
- Terra Clark, MPH – OCA M3/M4 Coordinator
- Mary Cronin – OCA Office Manager
- The following student leaders who were instrumental for the concept, design and implementation of SCB:
- Tiffani Berkel (M3, MSTP)
- Ally Young (G4, MSTP)
- Adrian Boscolo-Hightower
- (Class of 2018)
- David Lee (Class of 2017)
- Martina Gabra (Class of 2016)
- Jacob Fyda (Class of 2016)
- Ryan Knodle (Class of 2017)
- Kelly Liesse (Class of 2017)
- Mamatha Challa (Class of 2017)
- Cutler Lewandowski (G2, MSTP)
- George Stotis (Class of 2019)
- Kenji Kobayashi (Class of 2018)
- Joseph Geraghty (G3, MSTP)